As a federal enterprise, the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH supports the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development. On behalf of the German Government, GIZ currently provides advisory services to the Government of Viet Nam in three priority areas: Vocational training, Environmental policy and sustainable use of natural resources, and Energy. For further information, please visit www.giz.de/viet-nam.
The project “Flood protection and drainage of medium-sized coastal cities in Vietnam to adapt to climate change” aims at the improvement of capacities of public institutions and the urban population to better cope with the increasing frequency and intensity of urban flooding. GIZ is there to support the Ministry of Construction (MoC) with policy recommendations as well as to assist the 8 provincial governments on topics such as sustainable urban drainage, adaption to climate change, Disaster Risk Management (DRM) and Local Early Warning Systems (LEWS).
The project requires a qualified local professional for the position of: Project Officer (Flood Proofing)
Duty Station: Can Tho City, Vietnam
Duration: ASAP until 31st December 2019 with possible extension
* Provide specific advise to local government in three cities in the Mekong Delta on developing flood risk sensitive urban planning, e.g. zonal planning, drainage planning etc.
* Provide expertise to local government with regards to urban planning
* Create linkages between various government departments to assist in the development of integrated and flood risk sensitive urban planning
* Coordinate various activities and oversee implementation of consultant contract in the Mekong Delta together with other members of team:
**Flood maps to assess flood risks in urban areas
**Suitability maps to assess insurance risks
**Early Warning Systems
* Be a link between the program’s activities in the Mekong Delta and activities on national level with regards to urban planning
* Provide input on operations and budget planning for all project activities
* Liaise with and provide input to the project partners in all provinces, including local and provincial government authorities
* Master degree in Urban Planning or related field
* At least 3-5 years of professional working experience in a similar position
* Overall expertise in the urban planning context (specific expertise in the field of hydro management/flood management is a plus)
* Willingness to travel within various provincial offices in the Mekong Delta and travel to Hanoi.
* Strong willingness and ability to work in a team, strong communication skills
* Ability to build and manage relations on a daily basis
* Expertise and working experience in diverse economic and environmental topics, especially related to climate change
* Knowledge of planning, budgeting and M&E processes in the public sector is an advantage.
* High level written and oral communication and report writing skills in both English and Vietnamese. German is an advantage.
* Demonstrated ability to work and produce – sometimes under high pressure – high level and quality outputs with limited supervision and management.
Demonstrated team work ability, dynamic and self-motivated character.
• Excellent command of MS-Office.
• Excellent communication and organisational skills.
• Ability to meet deadlines, work under time pressure, occasionally obliging to irregular and long working hours.
• Excellent sense of initiative and ability to work independently.
Successful candidates will enjoy good working conditions with a friendly and creative working environment, open corporate culture, competitive benefits and compensation and good policies of training and development.
Interested qualified candidates are invited to send the application in English, including copies of relevant certificates and references, either by email (to email@example.com) or by post (to GIZ Office Hanoi, 6th Floor Hanoi Towers, 49 Hai Ba Trung Street, Hanoi, Vietnam), before March 01st 2017.
Note: Please state “Application for the Project Officer (Flood Proofing)” in the subject line or on the envelope.
The short-listed candidates will be contacted within 4 weeks after the deadline. Telephone contact is not encouraged.